As I'm working a lot at the moment, I haven't had much time during the week to prepare incredible breakfasts - most of the time I prep overnight oats and eat them on the go. On the weekends, however, I love spending a bit more time in the kitchen and treat myself to an amazing breakfast. Case in point: Pancakes!
As I haven't come up with the perfect recipe myself yet, I often experiment with ones that I find online, such as this one from One Ingredient Chef. I changed a few things, but the inspiration for this recipes definitely stems from their site - so go check them out for more awesome recipes!
Scrumptious Vegan Pancakes
Recipe adapted from The Perfect Vegan Pancakes by One Ingredient Chef.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat or oat flour
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 flax eggs (2tbsp ground flax seeds + 5tbsp warm water)
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- toppings of choice (I love maple syrup, bananas, and cinnamon sugar - but nut butters, apple sauce, and vegan chocolate spread are amazing as well!)
- Prepare the flax eggs by combining ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl. Let soak for about 5 minutes. It should have a gooey gelatinous consistency, if it's to dry, just add more water.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a big bowl, but don't over mix! Add in flax eggs and stir once more. Your pancakes will turn out best if the batter isn't overworked, so just combine everything but don't over mix.
- Melt a small amount of oil of your choice in a pan on medium heat.
- Fry pancakes (about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake) in pan. Flip pancakes when bubble appear on the surface and finish off by frying them for another 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Keep warm till serving and top with whatever toppings you like. Enjoy!
If you give this recipe a try, let me know how they turned out! Also what's your favourite topping? I'm super curious!